Sunday, April 21, 2013

goal 29 || take a road trip. #fatherdaughterroadtrip2013. part 02.

part 02. you can find part 01 here.

it's spring break time around maine and this year my dad and i decided to take a week long road trip that took us to nyc, western pennsylvania, central pennsylvania, and bethel, ny. they'll be more photos in other posts because i got accomplished 3 (!!!) of my 30 before 30 goals. here's the first, the road trip, which was hashtagged on instagram as #fatherdaughterroadtrip2013 :)

01. today we hit up every thrift store and flea market we passed.

02. flight 93 memorial. the white wall has each victim's name on a panel, the wall follows the flight path. at the end, at that gate, the path continues to the actual crash site that is marked by a boulder and broken hemlock trees. only family is allowed beyond the gate.

03. beyond the gate leading to the impact site. the boulder marks the spot.

04. there is a small building on the site for people to leave messages. someone left this and it gave me goosebumps. (I covered her's and her son's first and last name because she probably didn't intend for this message to be on the Internet.)

05. left 76 degrees and sunny for this.

06. it's perfect for a rainy 4.5 hour drive.

07. growing up my dad always called rolled down windows when it's cold out "pneumonia holes" as in "Oopa (that's me) roll up that pneumonia hole!"

08. boredom is setting in on this part of the trip. so thankful it's been so sunny the other times we've driven. 30 minutes til our destination!

09. randy and I made a pit stop in bethlehem, pa just to meet a dear friend that I met on myspace 8 years ago. this was our first time meeting after years of calls, texts, emails and letters.

10. back road detour to an unplanned but totally rad destination. stay tuned to see Randy's dreams come true:)

11. his mind? completely blown.

12. he kept saying things like "my heart is beating so fast, I can't believe I'm here" and "my arms are covered in goose pimples" and "this is the best moment of my life and you're here with me"

13. the stage was at the base of the hill on the left, the hill and beyond is where 500k people spent 3 days of peace, love & music.

14. the site of the original Woodstock in 1969 and the Woodstock museum in Bethel, New York. making my dad's lifelong dream come true was my favorite part of this trip and our last stop. 

15. after he took this he said "I'm so proud you're my daughter. thank you for bringing me here. I'm gonna frame this."

16. he was 19 when Woodstock rolled into town and couldn't go because he had to work but I'm pretty sure as he stood looking out on the grounds, he saw his 19 year old self out there.

17. heading home where he'll flash peace signs for days.

18. unfortunately we can't go home through Boston tonight but we did stop here to share our love, prayers, respect and support to this community.

19. he made friends within 10 minutes with the hippie volunteer museum guide. the hippie lady in the gift shop liked him and his ponytail so much she gave him a free poster and peace sign necklace.

the end:)



No comments:

Post a Comment